Five Hartford students eat marijuana gummies at school, police say

FILE PHOTO — One or more female students at Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy became sick after eating THC-infused gummy bears Friday afternoon, according to Hartford police.

FILE PHOTO — One or more female students at Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy became sick after eating THC-infused gummy bears Friday afternoon, according to Hartford police.

Hartford Police / Contributed Ph

HARTFORD — A female student at a magnet school became sick Friday afternoon after she and four others ate food laced with THC, according to local police.

Hartford police responded to Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy at 53 Vernon St. around 1:17 p.m. Friday for a report that a student had ingested a “THC edible,” Lt. Aaron Boisvert, public information officer for the Hartford Police Department, said. Investigators determined five students, all girls between ages 14 and 15, had eaten one or more gummy bears infused with THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, Boisvert said.

Emergency medical services personnel responded to evaluate the students, according to Boisvert. One was transported to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Boisvert said. He said the other four refused medical treatment and were released into the custody of their parents. 

Investigators determined one of the five girls had brought the edibles to school and shared them with the other girls, according to Boisvert. She was issued a juvenile summons for her role in the incident, Boisvert said.

This is not the first time in the last year that Connecticut students have been sickened by eating edibles. 

In September 2022, three eighth-grade students at Bishop Woods Architecture & Design Magnet School on Quinnipiac Avenue in New Haven were hospitalized as a precaution after eating edibles, according to school officials. One student suffered from vomiting and slurred speech, officials said.

Eight months before, five seventh-grade students at Bishop Woods were hospitalized starting on Jan. 13 after eating a candy bar containing THC, according to police. Their symptoms included lethargy and vomiting, Mayor Justin Elicker said at a news conference at the time. He called the incident “very concerning.” 

Those hospitalizations coincided with a fatal fentanyl overdose at Hartford’s Sport and Medical Sciences Academy. Three students were exposed to fentanyl during gym class on Jan. 13. While two of the students recovered, a 13-year-old seventh-grade boy died in the hospital after he was admitted in grave condition. 

caroline.tien@hearst.com

 

Read more here: Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *